Mission Statement: The Health Advisory council of the North Andover School
District is a volunteer organization whose mission is to evaluate and monitor
current health issues and advise the school administration on health policy. Our
goal is to raise the awareness of students’ physical, nutritional and emotional
needs which will empower them to make and promote life long health behaviors.
Committee members include school administrators, school nurses, food service
director, parents of students in the school district, health educators, physical
educators, and the school physician.
2010 – 2011 School year projects:
- North Andover Public Schools Wellness Policy: Review and recommend any necessary revisions to the school committee and superintendent.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) reporting: Regulations require school systems to measure the height and weight of public school students in grades 1, 4, 7 and 10 and use those figures to calculate their BMI. Results are sent to parents and aggregate data to the Mass Dept of Public Health.
- North Andover Head Injury Protocol: Review proposed regulation 105 CMR 201.000: Head injuries and concussions in extracurricular athletic activities. Develop procedures governing the prevention and management of sports-related head injuries within the school district.
- CPR in schools program: Implement the revised guidelines by the American Heart Association and offer CPR certification to all 9th grade students.
- H1N1 Immunization: Collaborate with the North Andover Health Department to offer Flu vaccine to students and staff.