NOTE: THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES WERE FOR THE CLASS OF 2015. PROCEDURES FOR THE CLASS OF 2016 WILL BE POSTED IN LATE AUGUST 2015.
NAHS Guidance Department - CLASS OF 2015 SENIOR ACTION ITEMS
ELECTRONIC FILING OF TRANSCRIPTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
The Guidance Department will be sending all transcripts, counselor recommendations and teacher recommendations electronically to colleges using Naviance and Common Application web-based software. To do this, seniors must complete the following steps by the due date indicated.
- COMMON APPLICATION
- All seniors must register for the Common Application by September 30, 2014.
- Go to www.commonapp.org.
- Complete the registration form on-line.
- Select a username and password, write it down, and keep it in a safe place.
- ENTER YOUR COLLEGES INTO YOUR COMMON APPLICATION ACCOUNT
- Make sure all of your Common Application colleges are listed on your Common Application account before you submit your Transcript Release Authorization Form to Guidance.
- Your guidance counselor cannot send your documentation electronically if you do not list all of your Common Application schools on your Common Application account.
- WHILE STILL IN YOUR COMMON APPLICATION ACCOUNT
- Go to the Common App tab and complete the PROFILE and EDUCATION sections
- NOTE: You must complete the PROFILE and EDUCATION sections of the Common Application BEFORE you can complete the FERPA in Step 4.
- COMPLETE THE FERPA ON COMMON APPLICATION
- All seniors must complete the FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) on their Common Application account by September 30, 2014.
- Log into your Common Application account.
- Go to the My Colleges tab
- Click on the first college listed
- Click on “Recommenders and FERPA”
- FERPA Release Authorization pop-up box appears
- Click the box at the bottom which says, “I have fully read and understood the FERPA Release Authorization explanation above”
- Press the Continue button
- Check the box that authorizes North Andover High School to send your documentation to schools.
- Select whether or not you waive your rights to review your information
- Type your full name under signature and enter the date
- Press the Save button
- NOTE: NAHS seniors will NOT be able to assign their two NAHS teacher recommenders on the Common Application. This is done on Naviance. See Step 8 below.
- NAVIANCE REGISTRATION
- All seniors must register with Naviance Family Connections by September 30, 2014.
- Go to http://connection.naviance.com/nahs.
- Type in unique registration code under “New User?”
- Click “Register”
- Verify that your name is the one shown at the top of the page in the welcome line
- Type in your email address & verify email
- Choose a password and verify a password
- Click “Complete Registration”
6. ENTER YOUR COLLEGES INTO YOUR “COLLEGES I AM THINKING ABOUT” LIST IN NAVIANCE
- Go to the Colleges tab in Naviance and enter the names of colleges you will be applying to into your “Colleges I’m Thinking About List”
- You may add or delete colleges on this list at anytime.
- Please note that you will be unable to enter colleges into the "Colleges I'm Applying to" section. After Step 6 is completed below and once the Common Application Account Matching is done on Naviance, the colleges you have listed will automatically be moved from the "Colleges I'm Thinking About" to the “Colleges I’m Applying to” section.
- COMMON APPLICATION ACCOUNT MATCHING – DONE ON NAVIANCE
- Under the “Colleges I’m Applying to” tab in Naviance
- “Common App Account Matching”
- Step 1 – Create a Common App account – (see Step 1)
- Step 2 – Sign the FERPA your Common App account – (See Step 4)
- Enter your Common Application EMAIL ADDRESS and date of birth in the box provided
- Click on the “ MATCH” button
- ON NAVIANCE, REQUEST YOUR TEACHER RECOMMENDATIONS – (ASSIGN RECOMMENDERS)
(Please review the additional information on requesting teacher recommendations on the following page before requesting your teacher recommendations on Naviance.)
- Login to your Naviance account.
- Click on the Colleges tab.
- Click on “Colleges I Am Applying To”.
- Under Teacher Recommendations click on “add/cancel requests”.
- Select a teacher from the drop down menu.
- In the box to the right of the teacher’s name, write a short personal note to the teacher requesting the recommendation. (See sample note below)
- There is room to list up to four teacher recommendations however the Guidance Department is only able to send two (2) teacher recommendations electronically to colleges. You will need to identify which two you would like sent. Indicate these on the Transcript Release Form.
- Once you have written your personal notes (see below), click on “Update Requests”.
- Your teacher will then receive an email from Naviance containing your note requesting the recommendation.
- Your teacher then writes the recommendation and uploads it into Naviance.
- The Guidance Department will include the teacher recommendations in the transcript packet that is electronically mailed to each of the colleges you are applying to.
SAMPLE NOTE TO TEACHER FOR RECOMMENDATION ON NAVIANCE
Dear Mr. Smith,
As we discussed, I would like to request a recommendation from you for college. My
earliest application deadline is _____________________. Thank you for your time and support.
(fill in date)
- COMPLETE A TRANSCRIPT RELEASE AUTHORIZATION FORM
- Once you have determined which colleges you will be applying to, and have entered them into Naviance and your Common Application accounts, you will need to complete a Transcript Release Authorization Form.
- Please note that all Common Application schools require an official transcript and a Guidance Counselor Recommendation.
- In order to write a Guidance Counselor Recommendation, you need to complete the Student Recommendation Form located on Naviance. See below
- Parents may opt to complete the Parent Recommendation Form, also located on Naviance. See below.
- You must have both the Student Recommendation Form AND the Transcript Release Authorization Form into the Guidance Office at least one month prior to the application deadline.
- A processing fee of $3.00 per college must be attached to the Transcript Release Authorization Form for your transcript package to be prepared. Checks should be made payable to NAHS Guidance.
- Counselor Recommendations are written in the order in which these forms are received, so plan ahead.
- Transcript Release Authorization Forms must be completed in full, and will not be accepted if they are missing information or the processing fee.
- The forms must be submitted directly to a member of the Guidance staff. DO NOT leave them in a counselor’s mailbox or on the front desk in Guidance.
- If a college does not accept the Common Application, and does not allow electronic filing of transcripts and counselor recommendations, these items will be mailed in an envelope to the college.
- REQUESTING GUIDANCE COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATIONS
Our counselors spend a great deal of time preparing and writing their recommendations for students. In an effort to help them personalize and accurately reflect upon a student, we ask that two documents be completed by the student and his/her family through Naviance Family Connections.
1. Student Recommendation Form - This form is only accessible on the student’s Naviance account. It asks specific questions about his/her interests, likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses, and extra-curricular and school based activities, which will help our counselors write more meaningful and accurate recommendations. In addition, completion of this form will assist a student in developing his/her very first resume, which then can be attached to college applications. This is only accessible on the student’s account.
2. Parent Recommendation Form – This is an opportunity for parents to give our counselors more insight to their student. Students are often modest in talking about themselves. Here is a chance for parents to reflect on their student’s strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, and their passions. Information collected from this form will only be used our counselors to write more personalized recommendations for their students. They are not sent on to colleges. This form is only accessible on the parent’s Naviance account.
- REQUESTING TEACHER RECOMMENDATIONS
- Most colleges require at least one teacher recommendation, and some may require two. They usually prefer teachers that a student has had during their junior and senior years. These are the years which will give college admissions counselors an indication of how a student may fare as a freshman in college.
- It takes quite a bit of time to write a thoughtful teacher recommendation. Students should give their teachers as much notice as possible and provide them with suggested mailing dates in order for the recommendation to arrive at the college by its application deadline.
- Some teachers write many recommendations and may have to limit the number they can or will write. We suggest that students ask their junior year teachers right before summer break. Senior year teachers should be given at least 6 weeks notice prior to a college’s application deadline.
- It is important that you ask your teacher to write a recommendation IN PERSON first, BEFORE you list their name on Naviance and an email is sent with your request.
- If you would like to send more than two teacher recommendations or if a teacher is no longer at NAHS, these recommendations will need to be sent through regular mail.
- In these cases, students should give a stamped addressed envelope for each of the colleges for which they are requesting recommendations. Teachers in turn will complete their recommendations, seal the envelope, sign over the back flap of the envelope, and mail them directly to the colleges. It is up to the teacher as to whether or not a student will read his/her recommendation.
- Please ask the teacher to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on their recommendation.
- Give them a date the recommendation should be mailed. We recommend at least 2 weeks in advance of the college deadline.