SEL in North Andover
North Andover's social emotional learning vision is to implement a district wide framework (MTSS) that supports the social, emotional and behavioral health needs of ALL students to improve academic outcomes resulting in a positive school culture and climate. Our recommended areas of action to maximize outcomes in school and classroom conditions and teacher and student capacity include:
- Setting a social emotional foundation in early childhood
- Building comprehensive preK-12 systems of social emotional support
- Equipping educators to foster social emotional well-being in the classroom.
What's New with SEL
Update for Parents and Community Members
North Andover Schools Share Our Vision For Social Emotional Learning
Imagine a school where the leaders consistently model good practices, proactively train staff, welcome parents as partners, focus on relationships (student-student, adult-student, adult-adult), use positive discipline policies, and invest time and resources in and out of the classroom. Research shows that social and emotional learning (SEL) helps create and is most effective in safe and supportive learning environments like these.
Using CASEL's School Theory of Action framework and resources, North Andover Public School's SEL action plan will include the following:
- Develop a vision that prioritizes academic, social, and emotional learning.
- Conduct an SEL-related resources and needs assessment to inform goals for schoolwide SEL.
- Design and implement effective professional learning programs to build internal capacity for academic, social, and emotional learning.
- Adopt and implement evidence-based programs for academic, social, and emotional learning across all grades.
- Integrate SEL at all three levels of school functioning (curriculum and instruction, schoolwide practices and policies, family and community partnerships).
- Establish processes to continuously improve academic, social, and emotional learning through inquiry and data collection.
Open the SEL Strategic Plan in a new window.